It’s finally done! This has by far been one of the biggest projects we’ve taken on and I’m so excited that it is finally done and looking amazing!
As you may remember from my last post (Kitchen Wall), this is what our kitchen looked like when we first moved in… cracked wainscoting and a weird granite table that was awkward and an inadequate use of the space.
So, Andy and I decided to completely renovate this area and design a shelf that would fit perfectly – using the space more efficiently by adding shelving and opening up the kitchen.
My inspiration for this project came from Ana-White Easy Kitchen Island Plans. While our kitchen is not designed in a way applicable to a kitchen island, I decided that this island could be modified to fit the space perfectly and serve as a type of shelf.
So Andy and I hit the drawing board.
We wanted to design a shelf that was the exact length of the window but with a very narrow depth to free up space in the kitchen.
We went to Home Depot to get the pine for the body of the table. We got the finished wood so we would have to only do minimal sanding and prepping. Then we went to Hardwoods Incorporated. Man this was by far my favorite part. So many different varieties of hardwood to choose from (they even had Zebrawood)! I could have stayed there all day! I eventually settled on a beautiful 2 1/2 inch thick piece of Red Oak for the top.
Let the building begin! This was a very drawn out and tediously slow process for us. Not only did we have very limited time to work on it, Andy and I are both perfectionists and newbies to the DIY building game.
Our first visual of what the finished product would look like…
Lots of painting and sanding…
And finally, the finishing touches. The Red Oak was slightly warped, so Andy decided to buy an electric planer to ensure an even and smooth surface. We used Shellac to finish and protect the wood.
Once we got to this point, we needed to go ahead and completely finish the wall so we could put everything in place. We filled the gap under the window with wood and the gap between the wall and tile with Great Stuff Gaps and Cracks Insulating Foam Sealant to ensure adequate insulation and to keep the roaches out… I HATE roaches. After that we installed the molding and wa la! Imperfections fixed! I also painted the entire window frame in order to spruce that up some.
AND FINALLY! What you have all been waiting for (OK, maybe only me and Andy), the shelf has been finished and is finally in place! Wow this was a long process, but I think the results were totally worth it.
And because Whiskey Boo Boo couldn’t be left out…
Another successful DIY project!