Step 1 complete! Andy and I had a super fun filled weekend of demoing. We dropped Woody off at a friends house most of the weekend… AKA we threw him over the fence into the neighbors yard so he could play with their two sons and dog Franklin. Our neighbors are awesome!
The demo went a lot faster and better than I expected. Shocking, I know. We didn’t discover any (too) rotten boards or rats nests. We did discover that the setup for the toilet is not standard (nothing ever is in our house), so instead of the standard 12″ rough in, we have to get a 10″ rough in which is slightly harder to find in comfort height. Meaning, I had to find a toilet with less depth that still has the extra height. Luckily, PDI Kitchen and Bath where I purchased the bathtub and sick had one in stock!
This was my first demo, so it was a little scary starting off! The point of no return you might say. But I think we conquered it pretty well!
We started out with a chisel and hammer on both the floor and shower tile…
But this quickly got old. We discovered that the wall behind the shower tile was actually just drywall, instead of cement board. While this is a big no-no, the tile had protected the drywall pretty well and it actually made our demo a lot easier. After chipping away at one wall by hand, I concluded that their was a much easier method moving forward…. Yanking down the entire wall.
While I was painstakingly chipping away at tile by hand, Andy had come up with a slightly different plan for the floor. He had discovered an impact hammer in the tool set that he has inherited from his father. Basically, this is a handheld jack hammer. And boy did it tear up our floor a lot faster than we could have ever imagined!
In the end, we removed a lot of molding, all of the tile floor, all of the walls around the shower, and the toilet. Not too bad for a weekends work! Check out our demolished bathroom and stay tuned for my next update. As I type the contractors are installing new floors and our new bathtub!