Ladies and Gents, the bathroom floor is officially done!
And man am I chomping at the bit to get this whole bathroom done so I can finally take a long relaxing soak in my new tub…
I don’t know if y’all have noticed, but it’s been cold down south lately. I mean, cold – like >20 degrees cold. So this has been a pretty intense project. With the walls not completely fixed, and the vent and poop shoot completely open, the cold air has been keeping the bathroom pretty chilly. Not to mention that Andy had to run the wet saw outside in freezing temps. By the end of the night, he was passing me tiles with ice on them. No joke folks. But we persevered and got it done! Just in time to go to the lake and enjoy a bitterly cold weekend sitting by the fireplace.
Of course, nothing in our house is easy. Nothing in our bathroom is level and the walls are definitely not square. So the first thing we had to decide was how to create an optical allusion that would trick you into thinking it is square. The tile before had been done very poorly. Small slivers of tiles filling in cracks and making it blatantly obvious just how NOT square the bathroom is. I wanted no slivers in this bathroom. So in order to determine the best way forward, I went ahead and laid out several tiles to get a feel of the land. This was basically like putting together a giant puzzle… And I love puzzles.
After drooling over the Tile Shop website and concluding that their tile was simply way too expensive, I went to Home Depot and picked out this beautiful travertine (limestone) tile in “Ivory.”
We decided to start by the closet, since this is one of the most visible areas, as well as the only line that ended with a tile threshold (took me forever to remember that word). As you can see below, we snapped a chalk line for the first row in order to make sure I was laying the tile correctly.
Even though the space is getting progressively smaller, we were able to keep the tile cuts to a minimum by putting a larger gap at the end that will be primarily covered by the trim. We used Versabond fortified white thinset to set the tile. We used the powder form and mixed it with an attachment for my (not Andy’s!) corded Ryobi drill.
While Andy was outside in the frigid cold using his wet saw, I laid almost all the of the tile. However, Andy did take a breather from the cold and lay about 4 tiles before I got impatient and kicked him back out 🙂
Andy would actually hand me the cut tiles through the window to the deck. Talk about handy! (Definitely don’t look as good as Nicole Curtis while working… Love that show!)
In order to ensure that the tiles by the bathtub were not small slivers, we had originally cut about a third off the first tiles we laid down by the threshold tiles. This allowed both sides to end in larger tiles instead of one side ending in slivers. Here I am laying the last tile from inside the bathtub at about 9:30 at night.
It was a little tricky getting out of the bathroom without stepping on any of the newly laid tiles, but luckily I did not have to climb out the window like Andy suggested. Instead I jumped onto the countertop and swung myself out like a monkey…
Next, we got to grout on Wednesday night after work. I chose Polyblend Sanded Grout in “Light Smoke” for the floor (we will use the non-sanded version for the walls). I didn’t want to go with a super light grout because the water in Atlanta tends to dye things red. I have no clue why. Not going to lie, even though I knew the grout color would change as it dried, I was a little afraid of the doo doo brown color it initially was.
And then, of course we ran out of grout right before the finish line… SO CLOSE! And it was about 9:10 PM so Home Depot was already closed. We (finally) finished the grouting last night – I told you it was doo doo brown originally. It literally looked like we were smearing poop on the floor. Thankfully, it didn’t smell quite as fragrant.
And finally, the finished product! Next up – trim work, toilet, and bathtub tile!