Well, this post has been a long time coming, in part because of football season and in part because of the rain. But the important thing is, we have finally gotten our shutters up on the front of our house! And boy do they look great – they go a long way to break up the monotony of the house.
We made these shutters ourselves generally following the instructions posted on The Handmade Home with just a few tweaks. We used finished pine boards from Home Depot for this project, so very little sanding and prepping involved. This also helped keep the weight of the shutters to a minimum – much lighter than using hardwood!
Step one was to cut and stain the boards – I applied 3 coats Thompson’s WaterSeal Woodland Cedar Exterior Stain to ensure that the wood would not rot any time soon. I simply applied the stain with a foam brush outside. The stain dries fairly quickly, so I would switch from batch to batch.
After staining, I took a quick nap with my puppalup while Andy figured out a game plan… What can I say – staining is rough work!
After the stain had dried, we went ahead and assembled the shutters and clamped them. Andy was only too happy to use this as an excuse to buy more clamps. According to him, a man’s workshop is not complete until he has AT LEAST 70 clamps of different sizes.
Next, we lifted it up on two sawhorses so that we could screw the boards together (my idea – I’ll take the credit where I can get it). While I went around and pre-drilled holes, Andy followed with his impact driver and screws.
Overall, these shutters are fairly simple to build and very pretty! Andy cut the corners of the trim at a diagonal instead of the more simple square corners (because Andy always has to make things a little more complicated), but I really love the effect – so good job Andy!
So I have a confession to make, these shutters were actually ready to go around the beginning of fall. But with football season starting up (Go DAWGS), and a VERY rainy fall in Atlanta, the shutters sat in our guest bedroom for a few months before we finally got around to hanging them up this past weekend.
But, they are finally up after a beautiful post-Thanksgiving weekend! The hanging of the shutters was slightly more complicated than making them. It took a couple of false starts with the first shutter, but by the second shutter we had it figured out.
First Andy attached the Everbilt tee hinge to the window frames. Because our window frames are not flat, Andy added a wedge behind them to ensure that the hinge was laying evenly.
This is definitely a two person job people, and preferably, a two man job. I was certainly wishing another guy was there while holding these shutters up while Andy got them in place, drilled the holes, and drove the screws in. But hey, at least I could do it. thankfully, once he a got one screw in the top and one screw in the bottom, I was able to step back and make sure the shutters were even. He got them both perfect on the first try! Go Andy!
As an FYI, while these shutters are attached properly to the window frame with a tee hinge instead of screwed directly to the fiber board of the house, they are, unfortunately, not functional shutters and are for decorative purposes only. They are not quite big enough to cover the entire side windows and actually do not even close all of the way, as that was not something we were trying to achieve. While it would have been easier to simply screw the shutters directly to the house, we chose not to do this because of the original fiber board and potential rot. If we had replaced the siding with hardiplank, we may have chosen to take the easier route.